It’s a joy to be able to travel to new places, explore different cultures and visit the many wonders of the world. Travelling broadens our horizon, widen our perspective of life and most importantly, it could help us relax.
Travelling is an enjoyable experience hence we should minimise as much as possible any unforeseen occurrence, here are some important tips about travelling:
1. Before setting out for your holiday, it will be good to make a To Do list. When you make a check list, you ensure that important things like passport and medications are not forgotten.
2. Allow enough time to get to the airport or train station and make provision for heavy traffic conditions. It is always good to be reached your departure place earlier as you can take your time to go through immigration services and the chances of being held in queues are low.
3. Whether you are going to a country with horrendous crime record or to the safest city on earth, it is always prudent to take care of your personal belongings. Do not leave your bags unattended and be alert of your surroundings.
4. Sometimes it might be better to place your personal belongings like passport, cash and other valuables in the hotels security safe. Asked the hotel staffs about their security, view it before deciding on whether to place your stuffs with them.
5. Do not flaunt your valuables or wealth especially in places where poverty level is high. You not only attract unnecessary attention, it could be disconcerting to the people there.
6. Do not be afraid to ask if you have any special requirements at the hotel you are staying. Most hotel staff are helpful and polite and as long as you asked in a courteous manner, you will usually get the help you require.
7. As you are the guest in the country, it is important to be respectful of the locals and their way of life especially in their religious practices and customs.
8. Whenever possible, plan your itinerary before your travel. Decide your mode of transportation and what you would like to see when you are there. This will help you save time and maximise your holiday experience.
9. At times be flexible and spontaneous. Sometimes the best travelling experience comes from spontaneity. Change your plans if you have to. If you are not able to follow your original itinerary, do something different instead of wasting the day.
10. Familiarize yourself with the local language. Learn how to greet, how to say thank you’ and how to ask for directions. You will usually get favourable response when you know a little of the local language.
Remember, travelling is about learning, relaxing and enjoying. Though some things might not go according to your plans, keep an open mind and embrace whatever comes your way, you can have a fantastic, memorable travelling experience.